I can't find anywhere to turn off updates in win10. The only thing I did find is the Windows update service itself in the Admin tools under services. I have now disabled that and will see where that gets me.

OK I got kind of sidetracked with this but the bottom line is that disabling the update services seems to have worked. I've been able to connect with the external modem and things seem to work except for the connection sounds don't work and it doesn't show a connection speed or any such notification at the bottom of the screen like with XP.

Manfred

Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
or better yet, turn off the auto updates.

Alternatively, haul it in to the local welfare book store and use their wireless to let it do 17 hours of updates and 6 or 8 restarts

Max Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 19, 2017 at 7:03 AM
Manfred,

Sounds to me like you need to leave the machine connected overnight so it can have a nice long conversation with the mother ship, and then it will be happy for awhile.