The failure is actually in the color coat under the clear coat.  Usually
keeping it well waxed (and out of the sun as much as possible) will extend the
life of the paint due to more UV absorbtion before it gets to the paint.

Repaints tend to fail badly due to inadequate clear coat thickness, it's rather
hard to judge.  On my 300D, the clear coat has failed again on the re-spray job
done before I got the car -- super thin clear coat, excessively thick color
coat that wasn't properly applied, since it's peeling off intact from spots
that were dirty before it was repainted.

Final analysis is that all "dead" paint has to be abraded away and a new,
properly applied color and clear coat is required.  Just sanding off the bad
clear coat usually doesn't address the issue with failed color coat underneath,
so it just peels shortly again.  The color coat is falling apart
(depolymerizing) and nothing is gonna keep the clear coat attached to loose
powder.

Peter