Sanding is the only method I know of - but as you mentioned, you risk sanding through the color coat which is just there to lightly cover the primer. Often the color coat will have damage also so trying to patch things is a waste of time & money. Then you run into the problem of matching the colors which is impossible to do without the computerized measuring equipment the painters normally have. You can spend a lot of money and still not get it right.

May as well get it repainted. The quickie painter is having a 1/2 price paint sale at the moment - but you usually need to pay extra to get the color you want. But if you do some prep yourself - like washing the car with Dawn to remove the wax, then go over it with a automotive wax remover available at a local store that sells auto paint - I like PPG products. Then remove as much trim as reasonably possible will get a decent color/clear job for around $1000 plus any rust repair.

Good luck -

LarryT

91 300D (which will get a repaint as soon as I have $1000)