I seem to remember seeing something about that on a show a while back. Not sure
how long ago that happened.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 18, 2017, at 6:46 AM, Larry Turner via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> Speaking of A380s, there was a show on Smithonian channel called "Air
> Disasters" which features various airliner/aircraft incidents. Yesterday they
> featured a A380 with a crew of 3 that was on auto pilot when the pilot
> brought his (9 ur old?) daughter and 15 yr old son into the cockpit and he
> first let the daughter sit in the pilots seat and she let her hands rest on
> the control yoke.  Then his 15 year old son had his turn.  He did the same
> with his hands, but being stronger, he was able to put more pressure on the
> yoke.  That's when disaster struck as a feature of the new A380 (and many
> other planes) kicked in -- when pressure is put on the yoke for approx 30 sec
> part of the Auto pilot becomes disabled.  At that point the 15 y.o. teen was
> controlling the rudder while the autopilot continued to (try to) control the
> rest.  Evidently this is a feature some commercial pilots like.  At that
> point the auto pilot tried to keep the plane on course by adjusting the other
> controls.  It appe
 ars the crew was not trained in this feature.  Eventually the plane began to
roll while the son was still in the pilot seat.   But maybe forces kept him
seated.  So the situation continued to deteriorate as the plane began to dive
then roll and slow spin as the crew tried to regain control - the pilot was
seated once again.  Eventually they appeared to pull the nose up and stop the
spinning, but as the plane climbed they over-corrected and it was almost
vertical when it stalled.  It appeared the auto pilot was still in partial
control during all of this which happened in approx 40 sec.  All these
maneuvers used a lot of altitude and they ran into a mountain.  The airline was
the Russian Aeroflot and they said that while what the pilot did was
technically illegal many did it. Hmmm.  I pray American commercial planes have
a little better cockpit security.