Good work! I am glad I dumped my vergassers before I had to do stuff like that.

Diesel on.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 27, 2017 at 8:41 PM
As the weather forecast is saying it’s going to be hotter than heck this weekend, I figured I would go ahead and take a swing at replacing the air meter boot and injectors on the 300SEL when I got home today.

I started around 5:00 and finished around 8:00. It wasn’t a difficult job, just a lot of fiddly stuff.

I pulled the fuel distributor/air meter as a complete assembly, including the injector lines. Buy removing the wiring harness gutter I could lift the whole thing, lines and all, off the engine without a lot of effort. This went a long way in cutting down disassembly/reassembly time and also reduced the possibility of getting dirt in the injection lines.

The boot was intact and undamaged from what I could tell when I removed everything. So it was probably not my vacuum leak source. I replaced the hoses from the manifold to the idle air valve and on to the air meter housing as well. And yes, Peter, even with everything out of the way getting the hose on the intake manifold was a real PITA….

Pulled all of the injectors, O rings and plastic shields/housings. Nothing obvious wrong here other than the shields being really sooty or black. I’m not sure if that’s normal or not. Cleaned the injector bores in the head. Installed the new shields, O-rings and injectors.

Got the fuel distributor/air meter back on. Holy mother of pearl, getting the boot over the throttle valve was nothing short of a major undertaking and not something for those who are easily frustrated. Put the injector clamps and bolts in place, torqued everything and reconnected the injection lines. Reconnected the main fuel lines and fired it up.

Amazing. Idle is amazingly smooth. I can only suspect that the injectors that were in the engine were slobbering or had bad patterns. Acceleration is smooth, smooth, smooth as is cruising at speed. I test drove about 10-12 miles and saw no change in the fuel level, so with the previous MPG being in the 10-12 mpg range I’m hoping things are much better with the new injectors. Vacuum is on the far left at idle, no indication of a vacuum leak from what I can see.

One observation: I didn’t disconnect the fuel pump to relieve pressure on the fuel system before I started. When I cracked the supply line, I didn’t get sprayed with fuel - it pretty much just dribbled out. With this in mind, am I correct in assuming the check valve at the pump/filter is bad? You do have to crank it for a few seconds when it’s been sitting, so that makes sense if it is bad…

I’ll drive it this weekend and see how the fuel consumption goes. Hopefully it’s far better than it has been.

-D