Anyone have any good suggestions on researching auto safety records?

I have been looking online but it seems to be more difficult than it ought to be. I keep coming up with information on new vehicles but little on used ones.

The powers that be want me to believe that a tiny new car is safer than a larger old car because it has some new fangled electronic doodads that might prevent me from wandering into an oncoming lane etc.

I am really more interested in something that will provide superior protection if some texting driver happens to run into me when I do not have time or space to dodge out of the way.

I know you folks think that the older MB's are wonderful cars when it comes to safety but I am curious as to how they and others compare.

For example, I always thought that the Ford Crown Victoria should be reasonably safe as it is a larger car etc but apparently the fuel tank is in a bad spot and serious rear end collisions are bad news with them. I assume it would be similar for the Lincolns which were built on the same chassis.

I have no interest in buying a new car but I am interested in finding a larger used car. I have been driving the Honda Civic that I acquired from my mother and it is a nice little car but a bit too little for my tastes. It gets good fuel mileage but I do not want to be in it if it gets hit by something bigger.

RB