Dan,

Under the plastic covering, a hole up through the valve cover is supposed
to go into a black flying saucer valve.

The output from that valve splits out into an "octopus" with twelve legs,
each of which feeds into one of the intake manifold holes (that are plugged
with RTV).

It really sounds to me like someone got lazy, didn't want to order new
parts from the dealer, and so routed the output from that black flying
saucer valve to the "coffee can".

I'll bet if you order all the new parts, you can put it back to factory
spec with no issues.  The painful part will be figuring out the part
numbers for what you are missing, and then getting that RTV out of the
intake manifold holes.

I can try to take some pix of mine later.

Max
Charleston SC