Randy,

There is a fuse that should blow if the compressor stays on too long.  That
is what would happen with my '87 wagon when the KLIMA relay died and I
needed AC for a long highway trip, so I rigged continuous power to the
compressor.  I think the fuse would only hold for about ten minutes.  I had
to wire in a switch, and cycle the compressor to keep the fuse from
blowing.  IIRC it was fuse #7.

Max
Charleston SC