Yep, a real pity to see a house ruined like that.

You noticed, of course, my Victorians were RESTORED, incl, parquet and tile floors, original wood moldings throughout, several fireplace surrounds and mantels, decorative plaster ceilings, beautiful stairways with walnut balustrades, etc., etc., etc.

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <ka...@striplin.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Old house projects

Back about 10 years ago there was a old Tudor style 4000sqft house that used to belong to a long time dr in town that was a beautiful old house built in the early 1900s. It ended up forclosed on and was listed for about 70-80K in Claremore where we used to live. Housing market very strong there. Anyway wife was a realtor then also and we had a loan all lined up and everything but ended up not proceeding. Whoever got it got a steal, and they have really fixed it up nice.

On the other end of the spectrum and you seen people who buy old victorian style houses, then completely gut them and "update" them so when you walk in them, they look like any other modern house? Well back in the late 90's there was this victorian type house that came up for sale. It was listed at 89k I think. Anyway, the owner was an old teacher who passed away and the house was quite original. Had the most beautiful woodwork and craftsmanship in the house it was amazing. It needed a little work but nothing too major. I would have loved to have bought it but I was young and knew nothing about buying houses. It ended up selling and later it came back up on the market for sale and I went and looked at it again. Apparently whoever bought it went in and completely gutted the house down to the wall studs. I mean completely. Even the original beautiful wooden starcase was out, it its place they had build a new one out of regular lumber. It was sad, very sad. If I remember right they got forclosed on. Later on somebody else bought it and it later came up for sale, this time at around $250k if memory serves. It was like a brand new house inside. It was very very sad remembering what it used to look like. It has been foreclosed on a couple of times since then and is currently foreclosed and was listed, but for some reason the listing has been removed. Here it is on zillow. Take a look at the photos. Look at the fireplace now, it used to be this big fancy dark wood deal, same with the stare case. It looks like they just put run of the mill Lowes hardware in it. If you look at the photo of the back of the house, that upstairs off the back of the house used to be sort of like a screened in porch sort of deal, was a room with windows on all sides. I am betting that was a sleeping room back in the days before AC. For some reason they have fully enclosed it and it is just a windowless room now. Heck it even looks like it some of the photos they installed pergo type flooring either over or replacing the original hardwoods. Of course they have carpeting over most of the hardwood flooring as well. I do not understand why people do this to an old house. If you want it new go buy a new house.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Claremore-OK/22083621_zpid/10834_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/36.310347,-95.605631,36.309184,-95.607348_rect/18_zm/