When I first got out of high school Dad and I worked on a landfill methane
project. All the piping had to be plastic as the methane was so corrosive even
stainless steel lasted no time at all.
-Curt

      From: Dan--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "d...@penoff.com" <d...@penoff.com>
 Sent: Friday, June 16, 2017 9:31 AM
 Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Renewable Energy project in Utah

Using animal waste to generate methane to generate power is old news. I worked
on total confinement hog operations in the early 1980s in Indiana that were
generating a good portion of their own power using digesters powered by pig
poop.  An operation with 2000 hogs could generate its own power with minimal
effort once the process was started. It could also be run by 2-3 operators on a
continuous basis, so it was a nice "add on" for a farmer, especially if they
had a large row crop operation that could also supply feed.

The biggest issue I saw was the effort it took to process the methane, as it
was very "wet" so a rather complicated set of dryers and dessicants had to be
employed to get the moisture levels in the methane down to reasonable levels.
Without doing so the output was rather corrosive. I can recall seeing equipment
that was only a year old being literally covered with rust if it was in any
sort of proximity to the stuff.

Low BTU output as well, like 600 BTU/cubic foot or something like that (natural
gas is closer to 1,000 BTU/cubic foot IIRC.)

-D