Those were the product of Jimmuh Cahtah and his Moral Equivalent of War (MEOW) about the A-rabs screwing us on oil.

An interesting dimension of that whole deal back then I got from a friend I had gone to school with along in there, who worked for GATX Corp. which basically owned all the rail tankers and storage facilities for oil, gasoline, etc. He told me that every tanker they owned at the time was parked on railroad sidings hold oil etc. while there were "shortages" and prices were spiking. There was not one drop of capacity anywhere to ship anything, which was causing lots of other issues, and there was no capacity to store any more product. But their inventory of tankers etc. was completely booked which was good for their profits. Magically the "shortage" ended with high prices, and everyone was making big money. Thanks, Jimmuh! BTW I think Warren Buffett is in that business now... which makes one wonder why certain pipelines were delayed...

--FT