I decided to try an experiment on fuel mileage on my BMW.  I have had to travel
a lot lately and thought a (admittedly unsophisticated) experiment might be
interesting.

My car is a 1999 BMW 740iL.   It is a big heavy car and I have been
consistently surprised by the fuel mileage.  In the last weeks I have driven
almost 2000 miles.  I checked this morning and my overall gas mileage has been
25 mpg.

BMW recommends premium gas.  Most of the time I get premium. But, before my
first trip (500 miles) I filled up with 87.  My gas mileage was 23. Then I
filled up with 91. On the same trip, I got 25.4 mpg.  The way I understand it
is that the car runs better on premium. But, it will run fine on 87. Although
with 87, the computer compensates and performance is slightly lessened. I tried
to keep my speed consistent with the prior trip.  I checked the tires to make
sure they were filled the same and the same people and stuff was on board for
both trips. I tried to limit the variables.

Based on my experiment, premium does offer advantages on my car.  With better
performance and power, it took less fuel to drive the same road at the same
speed.
Don Snook