I’ve heard this and I’ve heard that there’s a risk of damaging the catalyst,
but for the life of me I’ve never found anything that clearly states this.
Certainly there could be damage if you were driving the car hard and there was
a lot of detonation, but as others have stated, the engine management system is
going to make sure the timing and spark are correct for the burn.