When I had the Fusion for a rental I was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency
of the car.  It had good performance (if I wanted it) and only required me to
put maybe 15 gallons of gas in it over a three week period of daily use.

While hybrids don’t completely eliminate the issues of pollution (at the
endpoint) they significantly reduce it, or certainly appear to do so.

Even though my commute is within the range of a current EV, I would still have
instances where I need more than 50-80 miles of distance out of a car.  A
hybrid relieves me of this limitation and still keeps my costs way down as well.

-D