From: arche...@embarqmail.com [mailto:arche...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2017 3:01 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tire Warning

Agreed. Michelin seems to be the most resistant to catastrophic failure
although tread life can be a problem if you buy them from a big box store or
tire dealers like Tire Kingdom.

I just received 4 Falken Ziex ZE950, so we'll see how these hold up.  Falken
Tires is a division of Ohtsu/Sumimoto, and is based in Rancho Cucamonga,
California. Falkens are OEM tires for Subaru and several other Japanese cars.
Gerry
"Kaleb wrote:

> I am usually a Michelin man and have never had a problem with them, but this
> last time I did order a set of Hankooks for the 240d and some other cheap
> beans for the 01 e320 just to try them out.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Aug 1, 2017, at 11:54 AM, Curley McLain via Mercedes
> > <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > SWMBO had a jokohama loose all the tread without warning on I-80.  It did
> > about 2500 damage to the TE.  That is why I will bever buy or recommend a
> > jokohama tar.
> >
> > On the Burgundy SDL, about 2005, ALL 4 dunlops slipped belts on a 150 mile
> > MBCA event.  One was annoyance.  When the 4th one let go, it was like
> > driving a clown car with 4 bent rims.  Not a fun end to the trip!
> >
> >> Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com> August 1,
> >> 2017 at 10:55 AM Sometimes the vibration is the result of tread
> >> separation too. We had a scenario a number of years ago that was similar.
> >> We had driven from Winnipeg to Vancouver and noted some vibration at
> >> certain speeds. My thought was to get the tires re-balanced when we got
> >> back home. On the way back, we blew a tire at about 75 mph. Good that it
> >> was a rear tire as my wife was driving and she kept the car under control.
> >> Went to the tire shop when we got home and learned that they thought the
> >> tread was separating on a couple of the other tires on the car too.
> >> Replaced all 4 of them.
> >>
> >> RB

---
http://www.avg.com