> Craig wrote:

> Perhaps we should take further discussion off list

Works for me - but do others who are lurking care to follow along?

Regarding your email issue - what about using Samba on the desktop
to allow a network mount of the directories?  Either Win7 "windows
networking" mount the Linux desktop (which I do and know is pretty
easy) or have Linux mount the Win7 "network shared" directories
(which I know can be done but don't do it enough to remember how)

Or, can you use cygwin to change the permissions of the email
directory so Win7 can write?

> > fmiser wrote:
> >
> > But if the issue is just avoiding Gnome3 - why Gnome at all?  I
> > pretty much gave up on Gnome when Gnome2 came out.
>
> Because my wife, who for the most part has learned to use her
> login on our Linux system, is accustomed to Gnome 2.

Sound to me like MATE would be a good choice.  I chose not to
because (for not particular reason) I questioned whether MATE
would be around long term.  As of now, I see no evidence of it
fading away.

I had already used XFCE4 for a few situations so I shifted to
that.  I administer a bunch of computers and the users on all of
them seem to have made the shift without problems.

I also quite using gdm (gnome's graphical login) and am usually
using lightdm.  This has resulted in not having a user-switcher
for multiple users on one computer to have a GUI to switch from
one users login to another.  I have found no solution for
lightdm.  For the system where it was important, I am using KDE's
display manager, kdm.  With the help of a bash script (and
a .desktop file to make it a graphical button) I have a non-gnome
solution.

That was probably un-necessary since gdm can be used with _any_
desktop environment such as XFCE4 or OpenBox.  At that point I was
just so irritated with GNOME I avoided all the GNOME stuff I
could. *smiles*

> > With Gnome3 I am actively avoiding it.  I now generally
> > install XFCE4 for most users.  Or LXDE if you like the looks
> > of MS Win.
>
> I despise the looks of MS Win on a Linux system -- I use the
> command line extensively and don't want my background picture
> cluttered with a lot of useless stuff;

I'd say you are a good candidate for OpenBox.  No desktop icons.
None.  Right-click on the desktop if you want a menu.  I have
custom keyboard shortcuts to open gmrun, roxterm (my current choice
in xterm), and emacs so effectively I never use the menu.

gmrun is a linux-style "run" prompt with tab completion and
history.  I use it for opening GUI programs.

With OpenBox, there is no auto-mounting of drives, or "folders" to
double-click on to open a file manager.  I consider those to be
features - but most of the users on the system I take care of feel
otherwise. :)