Zoltan Finks wrote:
You'll probably find more helpful posts than this, but I can tell you that I
just had the engine replaced in a 240D. Engine cost me 900 and the complete
R&R job done by an indy - not me - cost 800 (plus a couple unexpected
expenses). The engine I got usually sells for 1100.

Was it worth it to us? Yes, but as I discover more potentially broken or
breaking things on the car, I begin to question it. I wanted one of these
Mercedes diesels and then I became convinced by reading this list (and got
the general impression that these cars are about as wonderful as tits and
beer) but I'm getting the general impression lately, when I complain about
it becoming a money pit, that there is nothing magic about these cars, they
wear out and break too, it's just that if properly cared for, the diesel
engines can last quite a long time.

The problem is seldom the car, but the condition of the car! A 20+ year old Mercedes that has seen average maintenance is usually reduced to little more than junk. It's NOT the quality of the car, but the quality of the maintenance. One that's quite well maintained, may well be worth $2000-5000 and one that's in close to showroom condition with less than 75kmi on it can sell for $10+k and MAY even be worth that. It's entirely a matter of an accurate and reliable measure of condition. Without such a reliable measurement, the risk is very high.

The cost of major repairs on a Mercedes (required infrequently, but if needed - they ARE REQUIRED) can be very high and there are few inexpensive "make do" fixes that are satisfactory. There is NOTHING more expensive than a cheap Mercedes that's been poorly maintained.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi