Dwight,
Have to agree with you about the 123 chasis......IN my eyes there was never a finer automobile made. Maybe slow but the class and reliability way exceeds the need for speed.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dwight E. Giles, Jr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:38 AM
Subject: [MBZ] 300D 2.5t

Tom,
Well, comparing he 240D and the 124 300D is like my British friends
say, chalk and cheese. All of the  obvious flaws of the 240D, esp. the
automatic are pretty well known.  I drive my 240D 300-500 miles each
week.  It is noisy, primitive in some ways, but solid and reliable. And
I love the way it looks. And I like the simplicity of manual windows,
set, etc.
The 90  on the other hand is ugly-IMHO compared to the classic lines of
the 123. It is undoubtedly the nicest car I ever drove-(I have never
driven an SD or SDL). it's refined, fast-twice the horsepower of the
240D, feels more 'modern' quieter, smoother, turbo is great and mileage
is much better than the 240D. EPA rated it 37 on the window sticker,
Nitske says 33 mpg. I haven't really checked it as I have been diving it
hard to 'tune up' the nailing. As was pointed  out here earlier, the 124
handles better on curves. The 90 also has vacuum door locks.  I think
the best argument for the 124 300D is the 2.5t engine-smooth, quick, and
economical.
I really had planned to get a 300CD to eventually replace the 240D-but
fellow lister John Peterson had bought this 300D and we did some work on
it-he was ready to put it on e-bay and I decided to buy it. No regrets,
but I still mostly drive the 240, at least for now. Plan to take the
300D on a road trip to NC this spring.
Anyway HTH.

Dwight Giles, Jr
1979 240D auto, 250K + miles