I jacked up the car and took a look at the steering.  I think it is OK, but the rack was moving around, like a quarter inch up and down when I moved the front wheels and just jiggled it, which was giving the slop in the steering.  Looks like these rubber mounting bushings are shot, cheap easy fix,  I'll order some and put them in.  You can actually reach them easily from under the car, wonder of wonders.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-rack-and-pinion-mount-bushing-e300-e320-e420-e430-e55-amg-2104631066

I'm guessing I need 4 of them for top and bottom each side? Anyone know?  Maybe they got banged in some energetic collision, but nothing else looks buggered so maybe it is just these bushings.

If that solves the problem this might be a decent driver even with the banged up fascia.  I'll see if I can get a shot of AC juice in the system and see if it BLOWS ICE COLD.

Hmmmmm maybe I ought be charging KLEB more for it...

It is telling me the engine needs servicing and the CEL is on, along with some nanny telling me some light, but not which, is out.  Is this car going to need the Poos system to troubleshoot it?  Or is there some secret codes you can punch in to get it to give up lighting secrets?  And CEL codes?  Will my little thingie I have for the trucks tell me anything or do I need the German Enigma machine?

--R