On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:24:25 -0500 Curley McLain via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Makes sense.  In the 40s, a pilot buzzing the tower got a severe
> consequence too.

One afternoon when I was stationed at Peterson Field (now AFB) east of
Colorado Springs (1972), an F-4 pilot flew by the tower to have a visual
check on his landing gear. Those of us in the buildings adjacent to the
flight line, who had not been informed of this activity, were rather
surprised by the roar of a jet so close. We ran out of the hanger to see
what was going on just as made a second pass, very close to right over
where we were. He was about 150' off the deck and his cockpit was about
200' away from me -- I could see him very clearly -- and it was LOUD!

Apparently things were OK because he circled around and landed without
incident.

Since Peterson is a shared field with Colorado Springs Municipal, I'm
sure commercial traffic was suspended while the landing gear check was
going on!

Craig