Tower fly-by is a basic flight test technique to calibrate a new pitot-static
system.  The test aircraft flies down a painted centerline in a stable trim
condition (at various speeds) while the true AGL is read visually from the
fly-by tower and the altimeter is read in the aircraft.  The rule is to stay at
least one half wingspan above the ground to avoid data corruption from ground
effect.

My most memorable flyby was a 600 KIAS pass to a closed pattern.  The turn to
downwind was wide, even at 7g, and we had to extend the downwind leg (a lot) to
get slow enough to lower the gear.  The maintenance guys on the ramp thought it
was very cool.  That memory is vivid, even after 40 years.

Scott