I think it was about 1990 we went to Kailua beach (Oahu) to wave at the last active group of F-4s take off from Kaneohe MCAS, fly past the beach and take off for the mainland, where the last active US F-4s were retired. We had many friends in that group. It was sad to see the last F-4s fly off to the sunset into the sunrise, but it was way cool too, because the pilots flew along the beach to see those of us waving them off. I am very glad I was able to be there.

F-4s were a solid craft.

I am not at all surprised that some are still on active duty in the RTW.

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM
I was watching NipTV news the other evening (they're readers are quite cute) and they had this story on about a CH-53 making a crash landing, and it later burned, 300m from the nearest dwelling, out in the middle of a field. The gummint was all up about it and wanting various changes in US military behavior. Whatever. Then the next story was about an F-4 that caught fire on the ramp as the pilots were lighting it off, or doing a run-up or something, the pilots managed to get out before the thing went up in flames. 2 things about these reports intrigued me -- the first was the irony in that no one in gummint was up in arms about the F-4 burning up, and second that the Nip Air Force was still flying F-4s. How cool is that? Those things must be at least 40-50 years old. I guess they are still newer than the Brirriant Reader's fighter force so they could prevail in dogfights against the NORKs.

--FT