There are a number of was to deal wth this:

With two (or more) people you can have watches of maybe two or four hours.

Sleep and let the windvane (autopilot) steer

Lay the boat hove-to so it effectively stops in the water

A lot depends on where you are.  Out in the middle of the ocean you could
pretty much do whatever you want.  If you’re in or around shipping lanes, you
better have a watch.

-D