You are totally asking the wrong people about curing the diesel disease.  I
mean, that's like asking your crack dealer if it's a good idea to kick the
habit.

I paid $5000 for my 1992 300D.  286Kmi, new transmission at 200K, new timing
chain, valve job, and head gasket at 150Kmi.  New 500E headlights and motor
mounts just before I bought it, and nearly complete records from both
owners.