It’s the first “real” pistol I’ve owned, and I really like it.  I can certainly
understand that it would not be the ideal service firearm, for sure.  I know a
guy who CCs a 1911, and I can’t imagine what it’s like to be lugging that thing
around all day long inside (or outside) my belt.

This is the rubber grip I asked Santa for:

https://www.hogueinc.com/1911-govt-model-black-rubber-grip-with-finger-grooves

They have a lot of really nice grips for the 1911 - I could see myself getting
carried away in a hurry with all the choices.  A couple of 1911 owners have
told me the wrap-around grip gives the shooter a bit more purchase on the
pistol and makes it a little easier to handle.  I will probably start out with
this and then see how it goes as I continue to shoot.  I may graduate to
different grips and a raised mainspring housing in the future.

-D