Except for the "dry type" batteries like the Prius uses, I've never had a
battery that covers couldn't be pried off of that exposed the cells and allowed
the use of a hydrometer and the addition of water; and I've never had one that
the covers couldn't be pushed or tapped back on.
I can understand why stores don't want their clerks dealing with sulfuric acid
solution, and would rather replace batteries than open them, but for DIYers, I
think a hydrometer could save a lot of time and trouble.
The last battery I bought had no visible electrolyte in one cell when I checked
it after driving home. I took it back and told the manager.
He refused to even look at the cell and said if the battery goes bad, he'll
replace it.
I guessed that the factory had put in the acid but not the water since the
battery likely wouldn't have started the car if they had added the water but
not the acid, so I went home and filled the cell with distilled water. It's
been a few years and the battery is still working well.
Gerry

> Gerry writes:
>
> >I don't understand why seemingly no one uses a sp.gr. hydrometer anymore.
>
> Two words.
> Sealed.
> Batteries.
> I have a turkey baster style
> specific gravity hydrometer I haven't used in years....
>
> Rick

---
http://www.avg.com