On 20/12/2017 4:43 PM, Larry Turner via Mercedes wrote:
My feelings exactly.    I understand the difficulty doing diagnosis from a distance and rust complicates the whole situation.   I may see if there are any shops in the area that would give me a estimate of what the cost might be to cut out the rusted metal and reattach the suspension as it was supposed to be. ;-)

But thanks for the words of caution.  This will be at most a secondary car until I decide what to do with it.

\Thanks again,

Larry -

Why not go back to the shop that told you it was bad and have them actually show you what they think it wrong with it, and take some photos?

RB