I tried to turn left from a city street and the steering shaft "unscrewed".
Here I was going down a city street with no steering, or so I first thought. If
I held down with considerable force on the steering wheel, the car would turn
right but only turning left enough to keep driving straight ahead while pushing
down hard on the steering wheel. I managed to get back to the shop by making
nothing but right turns and installed a steering gear and column from a
junkyard. That '56 station wagon was my last Chevy.
Gerry

Curley McLain wrote:
> I had a rear subframe bolt break on my original SDL.  I was close to
> home.  I heard it break (Impossible not to hear and feel)   I pulled
> over and saw parts down, but not dragging, so I drove it out to  dead
> Dougie (who was not dead then) and paid him to fix it while I saddled up
> and left town with another steed.   I would not want to drive an SDL
> with a broken subframe bolt far or fast.
>
> > Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> > December 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM
> > Different beast altogether, but we had an 86 Taurus that suffered
> > rusting of the front subframe mounts. Actually the washers around the
> > bolts on the bottom rusted through which permitted the rear of the
> > subframe to drop down some. My wife was driving it home from work at
> > lunchtime when one broke. She heard it and wondered what it was but
> > the car seemed ok so she did not worry about it. On the way home in
> > the evening, the 2nd one broke and then the car did  not steer quite
> > right so she mentioned it to me when I got home.
> > It did not come undone, thankfully, but it partly pulled the steering
> > linkage apart.
> > I went to the dealer looking for parts and was advised that it was a
> > common issue and there was an upgrade kit with heavier galvanized
> > washers.
> > Would have been nice if Ford had let us know it was something to be
> > concerned about before it happened.
> > Fortunately my wife was close to home and on a slow residential street
> > when it happened. It might have been much more exciting if she had
> > been on a highway at speed and hit a bump or something that triggered
> > the rusted parts to give way.
> >
> > RB

---
http://www.avg.com