Kinda analogous to food. If it won't go bad, it shouldn't be eaten. Like margarine and other hydrogenated oils. Only in the case of motor oil, the stuff that won't spoil is better than organic...

G Mann via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 30, 2017 at 5:11 PM
In the interest of ramping up a good "oil thread", I'll posit the following.

My current information re synthetic oils is that it is not hydroscopic, and
has no materials contained within it that reacts with water, thus remains
un-contaminated longer. Also, because of being a "manufactured compound" it
doesn't react with carbon and fuel oil by products generated by
combustion...

Dino Oil, on the other han*d, is reactive *with water and fuel oil by
products* and forms sulfates, etc. which cause wear and damage, erosion*,
etc.

*A*ny chemistry *brains here to flesh *that out... ?