Most of the olive oil is cut with cheaper stuff. And not suitable for high
temps.

Couple of interesting links, one with a book reference by the guy who wrote
the original article in 2007:

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/olive-oils-dark-side

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/08/13/slippery-business

Reminds me of my no undergrad days doing Mass spectrometry work on soil
vegetation samples. One of the subcontractors we interacted with in Boston
was a private shop doing isotope analysis for the orange juice industry.
The orange growers association was having a problem with fake orange juice
from concentrate being passed off as fresh-squeezed. Unfortunately for the
criminals, the oxygen Isotopes in fresh-squeezed were different from the
oxygen isotope ratios in the water that was being used to reconstitute the
concentrate. It was therefore easy to tell the difference. Further, the
mass spectrometry analysis company was doing work for both the orange
growers and the criminals, such that they were able to observe the
criminals adding the correct ratios of oxygen Isotopes to the reconstituted
fake orange juice so that it would be indistinguishable on testing.

When there is enough money at stake, criminals can get pretty fancy.