that was true up to about 20 years ago. But once the OTR trucks started running fuel heaters, and the truckstops started selling summer fuel all year long, the OPPOSITE is true.

I used to ONLY buy fuel at large truckstops until I got a load of summer fuel at 20 below. After that, I tried to buy at small filling stations that sold a lot of fuel to pickup trucks. There is one Sinclair station that sells to most of the peekups and short haul trucks in the area. The owner used to be on premise all the time, but he sold the station and the new owner is now absent pretty often, but the fuel is high turnover and is always good winter fuel in the winter.

Awa is traversed by the USA's main highway, I-80. The OTR trucks that use it have fuel heaters and buy summer fuel, so the truckstops all have had summer fuel year round for 15 years or more. I 35 also traverses Awa, and it is the main NAFTA artery, so in one run a truck could go from 90 or 100ยบ to 40 below on one run from Meh-He-co to say Winnepeg. (Or vice versa) You won't find winter fuel at the main pumps of any major truckstop in Awa. Some will have winter fuel for peekups at the gasoline island or in one pump at the Diesel islands, and it will be marked WINTER FUEL.
Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 31, 2017 at 3:27 PM

I've seen claims that you need to buy diesel from truck stops if you want to take a long drive north in the winter. I don't know how truthful that is, but this guy from Iowa had some grief by fueling up at home and driving to Wisconsin for Christmas. (which surprised me, because I always considered Iowa to be one of the cold states)
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/418-gen2-diesel-general-discussion/220113-gelled-fuel-story.html