Randy wrote:

"Sorry to hear of your bad luck. My immediate thought is: How many miles on the
1999 and has it had the guides replaced? If not, you have another ticking time
bomb and not much point in saving parts if the 2nd car is going to end up like
the 1st."

The 1999 has half the miles (120K).  So, while it is impossible to predict when
the guides will fail, I think I have some time.  I was wondering what to do to
try to extend the life of the guides.  The only thing I came up with is using
good synthetic oil and changing it frequently.

Don Snook