If you can, great.  If not, there’s enough slop in the jacket/cable that you
can pull the cluster out partially enough to get your hand back there to
unscrew the collar that holds the cable in place. I can’t get a good purchase
on the collar when everything is in the dash, so I pull the cluster first and
do it there.  It also allows you enough room to get a pair of sip joint pliers
on the collar if it’s really tight.

-D