It's been a while since we had this topic discussed, so here's the drill:

3M 8090 only, don't use anything else -- for two reasons:  It stays up, and you
can get it back off.  Liquid nails will work, but is pure hell to clean off
enough to get a new pad to stay up, I had this on the old 300D.  Terrible job.

Get the hood as clean as you can, then fit the pad dry.  Get it all tucked in
and properly positioned, then use a broom or something similar roughly in the
middle to hold the bottom up and pull the top half down.  Make sure the bottom
half stays where you want it.

Spray a very light coat of the adhesive on the hood and on the pad.  Repeat
twice, very light coats.  You don't want a thick gummy layer, it is much more
likely to fail.  Just enough to coat all the edges of the cells on the pad.

Let it dry until tacky, and carefully press the top half onto the hood,
starting at the broom or whatever you used.  With a bit of care, it will all
fit exactly the way you had it before applying adhesive.

Repeat for the bottom half.

With the correct amount of adhesive, it will stay up until it falls apart, both
of mine have.

The key is light but complete coats of adhesive.  One can should do two hoods
if that gives you an idea of how much to use.  More is NOT better in this case.