I pretty much concur with Peter, but I like to spray/apply adhesive to the
parts separately.  I mask off the hood and cover the engine compartment with an
old sheet.  I have a roll of butcher’s paper I put down on the floor where I
place the pad and spray it.  Once everything sets up (five minutes or more,
depending on temperature and humidity) I get the pad positioned and just
lightly tap it in a couple of places to stick.  Once I’m satisfied that it’s in
position, I press it into place by hand, then go over it in great detail with a
brayer (hard rubber or wooden roller) to make sure it adheres properly.

I’ve never had one come off - yet.

I’ll have pictures of the process on the blog tonight.

-D