Okay cool you guys said what I expected.
So the ASV
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4647/25670161128_33cf875d50_b.jpgstarts wicked
hard in the cold, even at like 20F. Its got 2x grp 49 batteries (parallel, so
12v) that it can run right down to nothing. I can get it to start by running
the block heater but it takes a couple hours at 1500w(!) to get the engine warm
enough. In a pinch I've found running my heat gun into the air intake until the
whole filter can is warm to the touch (about 15 minutes again at 1500w) will do
the job but its still a bit of a struggle.
When its not starting it doesn't even pop. I think Kaleb's hit the nail on the
head for low compression.Fortunately specs for a John Deere 4045T are easy to
find. Need to stop at the JD dealer to get a valve cover gasket.
I asked the guys about it and got "Waddya mean set the valves?" They've had the
machine like 10 years. Probably should do the Pisten Bully too, they've had
that 18 years...
-Curt

    On Wednesday, February 21, 2018, 5:45:39 PM EST, Curt Raymond