Not really.  Keeps dangerous vehicles off the road.

Dropped my gf at National airport at 5 AM today.  A VA inspector was
checking tags on all arriving vehicles and nabbed her for an expired
license plate sticker.  At 5 AM in the rain.  Trying to catch a plane.
Sick sadists.  She talked him out of a $100 ticket.