Last weekend we went to "The Ancient Ones of Maine" gun show. Its mostly
focused on primitive or at least old timey guns. I had a bad time with my
modern in-line muzzle loader last fall during hunting season. Any snow or rain
that got anywhere near it would wet the powder and wet powder doesn't work. I
decided I'd invest in an old timey side-lock gun, my 16ga shotgun is a side
lock and I carried it through a rainy turkey season last year with no wet
powder so apparently I know how to make side lock guns stay dry.
There were a bunch of good candidates at the show, I went in wanting a 54
caliber or larger. Theres no particular reason for that, the .45s I already
have would be adequate but go big or go home right?
Finally found this:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4713/39622927395_a2e72a0d88_b.jpgits a Thompson
Center Renegade, I paid $165. I don't think its been shot much, theres very
little powder staining on the stock and the bore is perfect. The Renegade is in
the half stock style popularized by the Hawken brothers in the 1820s or so and
commonly referred to with their name. TC made two similar models, the Hawken
and Renegade, the latter being more plain with iron hardware, little engraving
and no patch box.
I really like it, the stock is fat and fits me well, it points good and has
good sights. I haven't shot it yet but I also scored several hundred maxi-ball
type bullets. This gun has a 1:48 twist rate which is fast enough to stabilize
a conical bullet but will still handle a round ball reasonably well. The big
bullets should do a number on deer and it we get a chance to hunt moose again
this would be my gun of choice.
-Curt