More to the point, I suspect a design problem -- the cowling is supposed to
contain a thrown fan blade, and it appears that just one blade came loose or
broke off.

The engine may have had quite a few parts replaced, but some of it is indeed 18
years old.  I don't know what maintenance schedules are for modern high bypass
engines, but they are very robust and require much less repair than the older
ones.  Needless to say, failed engines are a huge headache and I don't think
Southwest cheats on maintaining them.

If the failure was indeed a fatigue failure as the NTSB has stated, it's a
materials/inspection problem, not a maintenance problem unless the blades were
removed and re-installed by Southwest.

CFM56 engines have a good reputation, unlike the GE engines on the DC-10.