> > > Curley McLain wrote:
> > >
> > > Were you trying to drag it in 1st or 2nd gear?

> > Kaleb wrote:
> > 2nd. Been many years since I have attempted this.

> Curley wrote:

> BINGO!  There's yer PROBLEMO!  When I rolled my 62 190Dc down
> the hill 40+ yrs ago to start it with a weak battery, It was
> always 4th (of 4) gear.   When we'd pull tractors, it was always
> 5th to start it. Trucks, in 4th, (4 speed)  cars in 3rd (3
> speed).   Otherwise the tars slide on the
> grass/gravel/pavement.   Nothing about physics or physical
> properties of materials has changed since then.

If the engine is in good running order (like if the battery or
starter is dead) then choosing a gear that will turn the engine at
least 1/2 idle RPM.  So if there isn't much hill, 2 of 4 can
work.  3 of 4 is smoother.  4 of 4 needs rather high ground speed.

If this is to coax a suborn engine, use a high gear number to at
least get it turning.  Best is a high gear number and lots of
ground speed.