That's a good point Rick, how will the AI handle the failure of a component
or system?  A flat tire (even a low-on-pressure tire) can be sensed and
reacted to, but what is that reaction?  What if the tire shop forgets to
tighten up all the lug nuts, and while cruising down the highway they
loosen up and the wheel starts making noise just before it falls off, while
the AI be smart enough to diagnose and properly react?  How about after the
tire leaves the autonomous car, can the AI react properly?

If the muffler falls off (from the Okie Acres version of the autonomous
car) will the AI be smart enough to pull over and tell the passenger to go
retrieve the parts and through them in the trunk?

What about the autonomous car following the car that lost the muffler or
the tire, can they execute an avoidance maneuver without crashing?

Me thinks that autonomous cars are a fool's errand, and the cost will be so
stinkin' high for anything that comes close to human performance that very
few people will be able to afford them.  The vast majority will look at the
cost and decide that a regular old car will be just fine.

Max
Charleston SC