Based on your description of the noises I am inclined to be confident the outer bearing is bad - we get a loud growling noise starting at 45mph or so and getting worse and speed increases. But I don't recall any vibrations on accel / decel or clunks as you describe.

The CV joint is a question though - are the axles sold as complete units with new CVs at each end?  Never mind - I can look on Pelican, etc.

I have changed Axle shafts on FWD cars when the CVs started clicking - the old shaft popped out and the new one popped in - is it the same with W124?

Also, let's say I get the carriers off and it's not damaged so it can't be reused.   If I rotate the axle shaft will that tell me anything about the condition of the CVs?

Larry