> Craig wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 22:48:54 -0500 fmiser via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > > Craig wrote:
> > >
> > > Telnet?!
> >
> > Are you asking what telnet is?  Or wondering why it would use
> > telnet?
>
> Of course I know what telnet is! Remember, I'm from RS232 days.

I actually started a reply that would answer "why" - but then
figured maybe I shouldn't presume. *smiles*

> Why would it use telnet to connect to the Internet?
>
> Why can it not use a TCP/IP interface?

telnet uses tcp/ip.

RS-232 usually uses a terminal application - like hyperterminal on
MSWin or minicom on *nix.

It sounds like it uses telnet to load a program, so all it is
doing is file-fetching.  Telnet would be a super simple way to do
that.  Enter host and path and when the file is needed it is
fetched.  But I'm largely guessing what it does.

> > I use telnet quite often - to allow me to use my computer
> > keyboard on my 'phone.
>
> I use ssh between our computers (as well as scp and rsync).

Yup, yup, yup.  Around here ssh and rsync are used all the time.
To keep data synchronized on multiple machines I use "unison" -
which uses rsync as a backend.

How I use telnet is I have an app on the 'phone called "remote
keyboard" that is in my list of virtual keyboards.  When I pick
it, it opens a port on the phone.  I use my computer to telnet to
that port and then I can type text messages, or edit gps track
waypoints, or enter contact data by typing on a real keyboard -
not the tiny thing on the screen.