> > fmiser wrote:
> >
> > How I use telnet...

Really I should say "One way I use telnet..."

> > is I have an app on the 'phone called "remote keyboard" that
> > is in my list of virtual keyboards.  When I pick it, it opens
> > a port on the phone.  I use my computer to telnet to that port
> > and then I can type text messages, or edit gps track
> > waypoints, or enter contact data by typing on a real keyboard
> > - not the tiny thing on the screen.

> Craig wrote:
>
> Interesting. I presume you have a "smart phone".

Yup.  Running Android 8.  It is very handy.  There are a few other
apps that provide much the same function, but the ones I tried all
required connection to the internet to work.  This one only needs
the 'phone and computer to be able to reach each other - no
internet needed.