Levi Smith wrote:
OK, so I took a couple trips last night and have a new question...

What is correct operating temperature range? I'm sitting at about 90-100C even at around 40F outside temp now. Which I guess might be OK, I'm just not used to seeing it quite that high and wondering if it will stay at that level once it gets warmer out.

Are the temps safe all the way up to 120C?

Levi
In other words... "when do I need to worry about overheating"?

If the cooling system is working, you don't have to worry about over heating. The thermostat PREVENT active cooling until the temp reaches 80-85 C. Then it starts to open and slowly opens until the temp reaches about 94 when the thermostat is fully open. Under most conditions the temp will remain between 85-95 all the time, summer and winter. That's NORMAL. The engine fan comes on at about 100 C. The purpose of the system is to keep the temp within the 85-100 range. No damage will be done until the coolant starts to boil. With the coolant an approved mix of antifreeze and water and with the system pressurized as intended, temps up and even above 120 are NO problem (but start to make me nervous). Temps can be expected to exceed 100 under full load climbing a LONG hill, but as long as they drop as soon as the load is lifted when you crest the hill and never exceed 120, there is nothing to be concerned about. They will also exceed 100 in stop and go summer city driving with the AC cranking, but as long as they remain below 120 no harm should be done.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi