Jim Cathey wrote:
Yeah, I've heard this elsewhere too... "cause trouble" is an understatement,
more like "destroy the control unit."

It depends on the vintage.  I think some later ones are protected
against damage, though will still act funny.

The regulator that "protects" the '87 and later climate control circuits WILL burn up if the pump isn't repaired pretty soon. That's the reason for the fuse! Also the regulator shuts off the aux pump AND the blower motor when the combined current drain exceeds the design value!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi