We had limited time to look and it was a weekend night, so we only looked at lows and home despot. I did not know of any appliance stores where we were. Snears is kaput there. The building was buldozed, right in the neighborhood with streets like kenmore, bryn mawr and other chicago/snears related names.

I didn't figure it was much use to look online at the time, as they won't list the position of the condensor or show pictures of the back

fmiser via Mercedes wrote:

None on the market, huh?  Figures...

20 years ago I looked hard to find one with the condenser on the
back.  It looked like it was failing a month ago - but I found a
replacement start-relay and run capacitor for about $100 so it's
still running.

But I was looking - but not super hard.  I couldn't figure out
what search terms to use to try to find one. "natural convection"
was the only term I found and it was on a GE page describing the
different methods - no products.

____