To clarify:

The Mannheim auto auction, probably the largest in the US, started in Mannheim
PA, hence the name.  They expanded across the country and have a number of
regional auction sites.

It used to be that once a month they had a “high line” auction that was nothing
but high line cars, like Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, BMW, etc., etc.  Most of the
vehicles in the high line auction were “lease backs”, or cars that had come off
lease and were returned to the leasing companies.  There were plenty of
independent dealers selling in the auction as well.

They have a building that is several city blocks long, but only about the depth
of 2-3 cars.  The building consists of bays where the cars are driven through
as they are auctioned off.  There is an auctioneer in each bay calling the bids
along with a big screen in the bay showing the lot numbers as the cars are
coming through so you know when a car is coming up for auction. Each auction
takes what seems like seconds, which it typically is - maybe 20-30 seconds per
car, as they are constantly moving through the bays.

The high bidder’s paddle or badge number is written on the windshield of the
car with a grease pencil and the auctioneer’s clerk records the information as
well.

If you’re the high bidder you go over to the office building with your
paperwork from the clerk and settle up. They’ll give you a tag with the car’s
location and you get in the car and drive it away.

The funny thing is that the majority of the drivers at the original Mannheim
auction are all Amish.  They bring them in by the van load and hey leave when
it’s over.  I guess they get a pass from the parson so they can drive cars for
the auction.

-D