Clonezilla and others like Ghost worked great.  But long before them I was
walking around with an external drive that had an image file (.dmg) for each
one of the machines profiles I ran in the school.  Rule was, if it took more
than 10 minutes of my time to deal with, the machine (iMac) got imaged.

Later on when I upgraded our network from hubs to managed 3Com switches, I
moved the images to a G4 server where I could boot directly from it over the
network and reimage on the the fly - or from the console at the server.

Apple had client server management down in the late 1990s.  Then they got out
of enterprise computing, and all of that fell by the wayside.

-D