Dunno for sure about ios, whatever version you have, but in settings there should be a way to block or have it ask permission for upgrades.

I do know my ifone is set not to "upgrade" anything unless I do it manually.  I don't have an ipad, so I don't know how it works, but with OSX on computers, it is no problem to set it to manual only, and the ifone can do the same.